|Source: Star Hero (5th ed.):|
In pulpish SF, being able to fix one electronic device lets you fix any electronic device. In more realistic campaigns, characters need to purchas the appropriate categories of Systems Operation (see below) for devices they actually know how to fix. Working with an unfamiliar system imposes a -3 penalty.
|EXPANDED SYSTEMS OPERATION TABLE|
Communications Systems (may be purchased as a group)
- Telephone Communications (installing and using the phone system)
- Cellular & Digital Communications (cellular phones, pagers, and so forth)
- Radio (standard radio systems, CB radio, ham radio, military radios)
- Broadcast Communications (television or broadcast radio equipment)
- Satellite Communications (use of satellites and satellite networks to transmit signals, GPS systems)
- Communications Jamming Equipment (equipment specially designed to jam transmissions)
- FTL Communications
- Dimensional/Temporal Communications
Environmental Systems (may be purchased as a group)
- Life Support Systems (breathing gases, heating, and so forth)
- Personnel Support Systems (food synthesizers, waste management, and so forth)
- Recreation Systems (games, holo-chambers, and so forth)
Medical Systems (may be purchased as a group)
- Medical Sensors (x-ray equipment, MRI equipment, and so forth)
- Surgical Equipment
Sensor Systems (must be purchased separately)
- Air/Space Traffic Control Systems (other than radar and radio)
- Medical Sensors (see above)
- Metal Detectors
- Sonar (passive and active arrays, towed arrays)
- Sensor Jamming Equipment (equipment specifically designed to jam sensors)
- FTL Sensors
- Dimensionaly/Temporal Sensors
Weapon Systems (must be purchased separately)
- Advanced weapons such as missiles are launched with the Systems Operations Skill. Each type of advanced weapon has its own Weapon System subgroup - Patriot missiles, antimatter space torpedos, and so forth. (This does not apply to vehicular weapons; tose require WF: Vehicle Weapons.)
Here are most of the common Weapon Systems skills for Champions of the Empire:
Rocket Launcher - Can operate a standard rocket launcher regardless of the types of missiles loaded.
Planetary Kinetic Bombarder Weapons - Can operate weapons designed to attack planets from space using extremely long range bombs.
Laser Weapons - Can operate continuous light-speed beam weapons such as lasers.
Particle Beam Weapons - Can operate pulsed beam weapons such as partical beams
Plasma Weapons - Can operate continuous wave weapons.
Spinal Weapons - Can operate the extremely large weapons found in the battleships and other very large spaceships. This skill cannot be bought as a standalone. The character must have skill with Laser, Particle Beam, or Plasma Weapons. This skill will allow the user to operate the extremely large spinal versions of those weapons.
Defensive Systems - Can operate and manipulate the ship's defensive systems. Although anyone can flip the switch that turns on a standard ship's force field, this skill is highly useful with customizable defensive systems that allow expert users to manipulate the force field. In game terms, this is most useful when the ship has a variable power pool (VPP) for its defensive systems. This skill is used to manipulate the system to maximize its effectiveness.